Registry FAQs


You can complete an online defensive driving course through Alberta’s E-Registry website. Once you have successfully completed this course visit one of our Registry offices with your driver’s licence and certificate of completion for a 3-demerit point reduction (valid in Alberta only). Visit the E-Registry webpage for more information.
Vehicle Registration renewals are organized by Last Name or Company name.  Below is a chart showing which month corresponds to which letter of the alphabet. Expiry Month    /    Last Name or Company Name begins with:
January = A, I, J, Ke, U, X & all numbers
February = M & Q
March = B & Y
April = D & G
May = C & N
June = Cl, H & Sc
July = Av, Be, L, Sz, V & Z
August = E, Gr & R
September = F, Po & T
October = S
November = K & P
December = Me, O & W
  There is also the attached Registry Expiry Month Chart that may be helpful in finding when you need to register your vehicle.    
If you are over 18 and you’re renewing your driver’s licence our registry staff will ask: “Will you register consent to the donation of your organs, tissue and/or body?” You will need to provide us with your Alberta Health Care card in order for us to process your wishes.  Here is some information you will want to know:
  • The first priority of health care professionals is to save lives.  Your choice to be a donor does not affect the quality of life-saving medical care you receive.
  • Everyone has the potential to be an organ and/or tissue donor, you must be at least 18 to register your consent to donate.
  • There will never be any cost to your family estate if you donate organs or tissues.
  • Organ and tissue recovery will only happen after every effort has been made to save your life.
  • Organ and tissue donation should not affect preferred funeral arrangements.
  • More than 4,500 Canadians, including more than 500 Albertans, are on the wait list for an organ transplant.
  • It is important to share your organ donation wishes with your loved ones.
  • Consent to be a donor may be changed or withdrawn at any time.
If you would like more information please go to Alberta Health Organ and Tissue donation in Alberta.
Please see the Alberta Heath Care page for detail information, links to the forms required to apply for, updates, additions & deletions.
A Valid Pink Card is Proof of Insurance and is required for all Motor Vehicle services.

No Changes:

Please be sure to bring in insurance that is valid on the day you come in.  This can be the original, a photocopy or an electronic version of your proof of insurance.  If renewing on behalf of someone else, please be sure to bring in a paper or electronic copy of their current registration document as well.  

With Changes:

Please be sure to bring in insurance that is valid on the day you come in.  As well, all owner(s) listed on the registration are required to sign for changes on the registration. If all owners are not able to come into the office together, please use this Letter of Authorization.
Any name that appears on the Lease, the plate you plan on using, or intend to be registered on a new plate must be on the Proof of Insurance (Pink card).  As well, all signatures are required for registration.  If all parties are unable to come in, please fill out this Letter of Authorization in order to register. When you visit us, please bring with you the following:
  • Original Bill of Sale or Lease, etc. If the Bill of Sale is in more than one name you will require both signatures to register. If someone else will be registering the vehicle for the owner, authorization in writing is required. Please complete the Letter of Authorization in our printable Forms section for the individual to bring with them.
  • If your vehicle is "brand new' you will require an original "NVIS" New Vehicle Information Statement" to register it. The dealership will provide this to you.
  • Proof of ALBERTA insurance
  • Acceptable I.D.
In order to register a vehicle that was last registered outside of Alberta, you require and Out Of Province Inspection. To obtain the required form for this inspection, visit any Drayden Registries with the previous registration or Bill of Sale, along with your Drivers Licence and we will provide you with a “Request for Inspection”. If your vehicle was last registered to you in British Columbia, Saskatchewan or Manitoba and is less than than 4 years old,  you may be exempt from the Out-of-Province Inspection. Please visit any Drayden Registries with your vehicle and previous registration to see if your vehicle qualifies for exemption. If your vehicle was last registered outside of Canada you will also be required to present the “Form 1” import form that you received from Canada Customs. At this time you may have only one stamp on it, but to register you must have two, here is a list of Federal inspection stations. Click here to see the list of local inspection stations in your area. Once this inspection is complete, it must be returned to our office within 14 days of the inspection date. When your inspection is complete, you can register your vehicle, please bring with you the following:
  • Your current registration or Bill of Sale
  • The completed Out-of-Province inspection
  • For vehicles last registered outside of Canada, the "Form 1" with two stamps on it.
  • Proof of ALBERTA insurance
  • Acceptable I.D.
(Also see New to Alberta: Steps to obtaining Auto insurance.) Any name that appears on the Bill of Sale, Lease or Previous Registration, must sign for the registration. If all parties are unable to attend the office together, please complete the Letter of Authorization.
Must be in applicant's name and current address.  Items with  ***   MUST be less than 90 days old.
  • Current Utility, Telephone, Gas or Cable Bill.  ***
  • Current bank and/or credit card statements.  ***
  • Mortgage documents or residential lease containing a client’s physical address.
  • Income tax assessment summary.  ***
  • Written confirmation of employment (on company letterhead, including contact name and telephone number).
  • Written confirmation from an educational institution in Alberta indicating dependents are attending school.
  • Alberta Social benefits documents.  ***
  • Land Title documents.
Must be an original document.
  • Valid Canadian passport.
  • Provincial/Territorial Government issued birth certificate.
  • Canadian Indian Status Card (Federal Government issued).
  • Record of Landing.
  • Permanent Resident Card.
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate.
  • Valid Work Permit or Study Permit (Federal Government issued).
Drayden Registries staff are fully certified to provide you with a full range of search products. If you provide us with a serial number, Personal Name or Company name, we can search it for liens. Personal Property registrations and searches,  from lien searches to Writ’s, we can do them all!
Please see Getting Your Drivers Licence This page also advises what to do if you have lost your licence.
If you are looking for an Alberta or any Canadian Land Title Drayden Registries can provide that for you when you provide the legal land description.
Please see Permit & Road Tests for more information.
Please see Permit & Road Tests page for more information on getting your taking your Knowledge test and getting your Learner's permit.
Drayden Registries now provides all Corporate Registry Services! Drayden Registries will incorporate named or numbered companies, revivals, annual returns, trade names, partnerships and all amendments.
To write your Boat Operators test, you no longer need to come into the office. Please click this link for Ace Boater to write your test.
You will need to complete the Alberta Birth, Marriage or Death Certificate form, which can be obtained at any of our Registry offices or found on the Alberta Government Services website and bring it with you. You will need to provide Acceptable Photo Identification which includes:
  • Valid Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)
  • Valid Driver's Licence or Identification Card
  • Other forms of ID
If you are getting married in Alberta within the next 3 months, please come into Drayden Registries for your marriage licence. You will need the following:
  • Acceptable I.D.for both individuals. (Both individuals must be present.)
    • valid passport
    • valid driver's licence or identification card
    • valid permanent resident card
    • valid fire arms card
    • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)
    • other forms of ID
  • If you have been divorced you must bring your final divorce “certificate” or “Decree Absolute”. Must be original document, photocopies are not acceptable.
  • Please fill out our marriage licence application and bring it in with you.
Your Alberta Driving record can be purchased for the past 3, 5 or 10 years; the cost for all levels is the same. If you are coming into one of our Registry offices, to purchase your own abstract, you will need to complete this Abstract form to receive a copy. If you are unable to pick up your abstract personally, and have made arrangements to have someone come into our office to purchase it, you will need to complete this Abstract Consent form then fax or email a scanned signed copy to our office for someone to pick up the completed Abstract on your behalf. When your agent comes into our office they will need to complete the Intent form to pick it up, provide a drivers licence (or another form of Acceptable I.D.) If you are not able to have someone come in on your behalf, please send us an email and we will provide you with details on how to obtain your abstract.

Acceptable ID

All Identification must be current and original. You require 2 pieces of ID for Driver License services and 1 for motor vehicle services. If you have an Alberta Drivers Licence or Alberta ID Card, your second piece of ID can be from the list below. If you have a Drivers Licence from another Province or Country, you must bring it in along with your Canadian Birth Certificate, Passport, Canadian Military ID, Citizenship, or Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS). If you do not have an Alberta Drivers Licence or ID card, you must bring in your Birth Certificate, Passport, Citizenship, or Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS), along with as well as one of the following. (Also see New to Alberta) Identification must have a recordable number. Some examples include:
  • Alberta Operator’s Licence/Identification Card.
  • Photo Drivers Licence from another jurisdiction.
  • Photo Identification card issued by another Motor Vehicle jurisdiction or government issued photo identification.
  • Citizenship, Immigration, Naturalization, or Permanent Resident Card.
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card.
  • Passport.
  • Municipal, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification.
  • Alberta Health Care if your full name appears.
  • Post Secondary School Identification.
  • WIN Card, FAC.
  • Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate. Issued by Vital Stats.
  • Bank Statement, (not from internet)
  • Visa/MasterCard Statement.
  • Utility, Telephone, Gas or Cable Bill in applicants name.
  • Notice of assessment from Federal Income Tax.
  • Recent (within 6 months) Separation slip.
  • Credit, debit or account card (must contain your name and signature).
  • Cancelled cheques with imprinted name and address.
  • Property tax bill or receipt, land title or mortgage documents.
Unacceptable Support Documents Some examples of unacceptable support documents are:
  • Interim/temporary drivers licence.
  • Business cards.
  • Cheque cashing cards.
  • Library card.
  • Video club membership cards.
  • Insurance liability cards (pink cards).