Driver Licencing



Drayden Registry Team Members in St. Albert, Spruce Grove, Morinville & Westlock are available to assist you in all your licencing needs.

First Time Drivers

For first time drivers you will need to pass the written knowledge test prior to applying for your driver’s licence. For more information, visit our Learners, Knowledge & Road Tests page.

Applying for your Alberta Drivers Licence

Check out our Getting Your Drivers Licence page for more information, including how to replace your lost licence!

Renewing your Drivers Licence

To renew a class 7, 6, or 5 licence with no changes, visit our Online Registry Services Page to renew through your MyAlberta Digital ID account. You can also visit one of our Registry offices in person to renew. Our Drivers Licence Renewal page has more information on what documents you will need to bring in with you for this process. Failure to bring in the appropriate documents will delay your renewal procedure.

Re-Classing your Drivers Licence

When upgrading or re-classing your licence, you will often have to complete a knowledge and a road test. Once both portions are completed you can visit us in office with your completed permits to have your driver’s licence officially re-classed.

You will need to bring in with you:

  • Current Alberta Drivers Licence
  • Knowledge permit (if applicable)
  • Road Test Permit (if applicable)
  • Drivers Medical (if applicable)

Replacing your Drivers Licence

If you happen to lose or have your licence stolen, please come by one of our Registry offices to apply for a replacement drivers licence.

You will need to bring the following document with you:

If you are currently out of the province, country, or unable to come into the office due to COVID-19, please e-mail

Alberta Drivers Abstract

Your Alberta Driving records can be purchased for the past 3, 5 or 10 years; the cost for each length of time is the same. If you are coming into one of our Registry offices to purchase your own abstract, you will need to complete this Abstract Request (REG3394) form to receive a copy.

To request your abstract online, visit our Online Registry Services page.

If you unable to pick up your abstract personally, you can make arrangements to have someone come into our office to purchase it on your behalf. You will need to complete this Driver Abstract Consent (REG3387) form then fax or email a scanned signed copy to our office. When your agent comes into our office they will complete an Abstract Intent (REG3388) form to pick it up. At this time they will also be require to provide us with their original valid drivers licence (or another form of Acceptable ID).

If you do not have a MyAlberta Digital ID and cannot have someone come into the office on your behalf, please e-mail and we will provide you with details on how to obtain your abstract.

Online Defensive Driving Course

Looking to reduce your demerits? You can complete an online defensive driving course through the Alberta E-Registry website. Once you have completed this course, visit us in person with your valid original driver’s licence and certificate of completion for a 3-demerit point reduction (valid in Alberta only).

Visit the E-Registry website for more information.

Please note: you can only submit a driving course for demerit reduction once every two years, and you must have demerits on your licence.

Proof of Alberta Residency

Must be in applicant’s name and show the current address.

All items MUST be less than 90 days old.

  • Current Utility, phone, Gas or Cable Bill.  
  • Current bank and/or credit card statements.
  • Mortgage documents or residential lease containing a client’s physical address.
  • Income tax assessment summary.  
  • Written confirmation of employment (on company letterhead, including contact name and telephone number, and signed within the last 15 days).
  • Written confirmation from an educational institution in Alberta indicating dependents are attending school full time.
  • Alberta Social benefits documents.
  • Land Title documents.

Proof of Legal Presence In Canada

Must be an original document.

  • Valid Canadian passport.
  • Original Provincial/Territorial Government issued birth certificate.
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card (Federal Government issued).
  • Record of Landing.
  • Permanent Resident Card.
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate.
  • Valid Work Permit or Study Permit (Federal Government issued).


Boat Operator Licence – Available Online

To write your Boat Operators test, you no longer need to come into the office.

Please click this link for Ace Boater to write your test.