Acceptable ID



All Identification must be current and original. You require 2 pieces of ID for Driver Licence services and 1 for motor vehicle services.

If you have an Alberta Drivers Licence or Alberta ID Card, your second piece of ID can be from the list below.

If you have a Drivers Licence from another Province or Country, you must bring it in along with your Canadian Birth Certificate, Passport, NEXUS card, Citizenship,  Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) or a Non-Canadian Passport with entry Visa.

If you do not have an Alberta Drivers Licence or ID card, you must bring in your Birth Certificate, Passport, Citizenship, or Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS), along with as well as one of the following. (Also see New to Alberta)

Identification must have a recordable number.

Some examples include:

  • Department of National Defence Drivers Licence
  • Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate or Civil Marriage Statement, Legal Change of Name Certificate
  • Municipal, Territorial, Provincial or Federal Government Employee Card
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate (issued after February 1, 2012)
  • Chequing or Saving Account Statement
  • Cancelled Cheque with imprinted name and Alberta address
  • Utility, Telephone (land or cell), Gas or Cable TV bill in client’s name
  • Property tax bill or receipt, land title or mortgage documents
  • Income Tax receipts
  • Insurance policy documents (life, auto, residential, etc)
  • Refugee Protection Claimant document
  • Study Permit
  • Canadian Health Card
  • Government Assistance document

The above examples are not an all inclusive list.

Some examples of unacceptable support documents are:

  • Interim/temporary drivers licence
  • Bank or Credit Cards
  • Business cards
  • Cheque cashing cards
  • Library card
  • Video club membership cards
  • Financial responsibility insurance cards (pink cards)