Vital Statistics – Life Events

How do we get a marriage licence?

To obtain a marriage licence you and your partner will need to visit us in person with your valid photo identification. You can complete the Marriage Licence form found in our Printable Forms sections ahead of time or when you visit us in office.

If either of you has been married before, please bring in your official divorce certificate as well. Please note we can only issue marriage licences for weddings occurring in Alberta in the next 3 months.

How do I order a birth certificate? Marriage certificate?

To obtain an Alberta birth or marriage certificate please visit us in person with valid photo identification. You will be required to complete the Government Request form found on the Service Alberta website. This form can be completed ahead of time or when you visit us in office.

How do I order a death Certificate?

To obtain an Alberta death certificate please visit us in person with valid photo identification. You will require proof of your relationship to the individual named on the certificate, more information on eligibility to order this document can be found on the Service Alberta website.

How do I legally change my name?

To legally change your name, you can visit us in office to obtain the legal change of name documentation to complete. You can also visit the Service Alberta website for more information on legally changing your name.

I didn’t receive my certificate in the mail. What do I do now?

If you didn’t receive your certificate in the mail please contact our office to confirm the address we have on your file is correct. Once we have confirmed your address, you will be required to wait 30 days to ensure it is not delayed in mailing. Once the 30 days has passed we can request a new certificate be mailed out to you. Please ensure you contact our office prior to 90 days from ordering your certificate so we can assist you.

How do I change my name after marriage?

Once married you are not required to legally change your name. You can however assume your partners name. To assume your partners name on your Drivers Licence and your Alberta Health Care we will require your marriage certificate issued by your marriage commissioner. While you are in don’t forget to order your Government issued marriage certificate.

How do I order a birth, marriage or death certificate from another province?

You are required to contact the province the event occurred in. For example, if you were married in British Columbia you will need to contact British Columbia to order your marriage certificate.

We also have some information on the Life Events (Vital Statistics) page on our site.

Comments are closed.