Alberta Fire Insurance



Alberta Fire Insurance

Fire insurance has become a major topic of discussion and inquiry following the devastation in Fort McMurray and the surrounding areas. Drayden Insurance Ltd has been serving the Edmonton area since 1965 and services over 30,000 satisfied clients across eight locations within Alberta. In the interest of continued service to our community and our neighbouring communities in Alberta, here is some information that may help during this difficult time.

The good news is if you have home insurance and your home is damaged by fire , you’re potentially covered. The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) notes that, “virtually every home insurance policy covers damage caused by fire, even if the fire began on a neighboring property,” adding that there is no such thing as an “act of God” (natural disaster) exclusion in any property insurance policy in Canada.

If you are affected, contact your insurance broker as soon as possible, they may be able to help you in the interim with some of the expenses you’re facing today. Remember to keep ALL your receipts for reimbursement later.

For vehicles left behind and damaged by the fire, it’s your auto insurance policy that will help offset the costs of repair or replacement but only if your auto policy includes comprehensive or all perils coverage.

For homes destroyed as a result of the wildfires, you’ll have two options: you can rebuild or you can take a cash settlement if you decide it’s time to relocate, depending on your policy coverage options. If you haven’t already, the provincial government urges you to register with the Red Cross.

The Edmonton Journal provides these comprehensive resources:

  • For updates call 780-310-4455, go to the Alberta Emergency Alert website at or follow them on twitter @AB_EmergAlert
  • Evacuees seeking information and assistance can direct inquiries to the Alberta Red Cross at 1-888-350-6070.
  • If driving, keep an eye on the official road reports on road conditions and closures in Alberta, go to, call 511 or follow @511Alberta
  • If you’re not sure, or can’t remember who you have coverage with, contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s consumer information line at 1-844-227-5422 or by email at [email protected]

In the event of a major loss, such as an injury accident or house fire, after hours call 1-877-318-5117. For more information on our services or for those residents/evacuees affected by the Fort McMurray Wild Fires wanting to report a claim please contact your Drayden Insurance broker directly during business hours at any of our eight locations: Edmonton 780-482-6300; Spruce Grove 780-962-5900; Stony Plain 780-963-2000; Westlock 866-349-5700; Morinville 780-939-3600; St. Albert 780-459-7700; Fort Saskatchewan 780-998-2277; or Leduc 780-986-1230.

Comments are closed.